Monday 28 September 2009

Beautiful nights, beautiful make-up


Dance music, if I'm totally honest was foreign to me before Manchester. The closest I came to it was a MSTRKRFT remix I found in NME. My personal epiphany came when a flatmate suggested we go to Sankeys and the intensity of the experience had a resounding impact on me. Several months on and I can admit that Manchester has broadened my musical outlook exponentially.

With my return to Manchester for second year I welcomed my first visit to Ancoats Lane to see minimal tech's James Zabiela with hot anticipation. Except one year on my wardrobe choices were much wiser having chosen to wear a loose fitted studded dress with bat sleeves and a well-worn pair of plimsoles. Walking home with my flatmates at 6am I was once again overwhelmed and inspired.

It was this more experienced attitude to clothing which was also mimicked in my make-up choices. The Illamasqua make-up range is ethereal, dynamic and hardworking with their tag line reading 'Make-up for your alter ego'. Perfect for fashionable but exceedingly sweaty dancefloors. The range was created by renowned make-up artist Alex Box and launched in the UK in 2008. Their press describes the range as aiming to create rich, bold pigments with a theatrical quality and with the leadsinger of Punk gods the Damned's David Vanian as a key developer of the range they have clearly acheived this.

Another insipration for the range was inspired by the 1920s Berlin club scene. However, the Illamasqua team have made this type of glamour attainable by providing make tips and video presentations on their website (http://www.illamasqua.com/). Their involvement in Manchester was demonstrated with a 'Blogger Event' on the 4th September. With their delectable collection of fake lashes, brushes, nail polishes and make up from ranges such as 'Dystopia', 'Noir' and 'Fantasy' I'm totally hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment